After becoming engaged and a newlywed, I found the award-winning website Black and Married With Kids, founded by Lamar and Ronnie Tyler. I reached out in hopes of an internship, and got so much more. In October 2011, I began as a New Media Intern. This role transitioned into a Staff Writer position, where I created news and opinion articles. Being on this team taught me so much, and I gained mentors-for-life from it. I stayed on staff through to February 2015, and still volunteer and help the Tylers on their events for entrepreneurs: Traffic, Sales, and Profit Live and The Gameplan.
Here are some samples of my pieces on the BMWK website:
- President Obama’s State of the Union 2015 Address Recap (Video)
- Gospel Musician Andraé Crouch Dies at 72
- GAME CHANGER: President Obama Proposes 2 Years of Community College for Free! Video Inside!
- Remodel Your Marriage Like You Remodel Your Home
- “Justice While Black” Aims to Save African American Families Through Education
- Book Month: 5 Books on Leadership and Success by Black Authors
- Book Month: 4 Great Books to Read With Your Kids Tonight
- The Third ‘Best Man’ Movie Due in 2016
- Iconic Actress Ruby Dee Dies at 91
- Viola Davis Stars in Shonda Rhimes’ Newest TV Drama
- The End of an Era: JET Magazine Ending Print Publication, Focusing on Digital
- Spike Lee Confirms that He’s Planning a School Daze Sequel
- Malcolm X Responds to Nicki Minaj & The Disrespect of Black History
- School Planned Fried Chicken and Watermelon for Black History Month Lunch